General Service Questions
At the moment, CMS2CMS can migrate the following entities:
- textual content
- post images
- post comments
Follow CMS2CMS updates to be notified about the new import options.
Yes, absolutely! Even if you don’t have your Target CMS (the one you’d like to migrate to) installed and live, you can still try how easy it is to migrate your data with CMS2CMS
Here’s how it works:
- We migrate a part of your current website content to the test CMS you point out as a free Demo Migration for you to check out the service in action.
- You get Administrator access credentials to this test website and can check out how it looks in the front- and back-end. (This site is closed for Google and other search engines, so you don’t have to worry about any harm to your existing website.)
- The data from the test site is deleted within 7 days after the migration, unless you request it to be removed right away.
It depends on the number of topics/threads the forum has got. To calculate the cost of migrating your forum content, use Migration Estimator – just drag the slider to indicate the number of topics/threads on your forum.
Here’s where configuration files are located in different CMS platforms:
You have two alternatives after migration using CMS2CMS test site:
1. Contact our support and ask to remigrate data to your own site.
2. Contact our support and request migration Dump file to deploy it in your site by yourself.
Both procedures are free.
Yes, it is possible. You may set up the connection bridge automatedly. Just provide the access credentials to your Source and Target websites in the provided fields in the migration wizard and then, the connection bridge will be installed automatedly.
Notice. The automated Connection Bridge setup works with the following migration pairs:
CMS2CMS doesn’t support article IDs migration. After the data transfer is done, IDs of your articles would be given accordingly to the structure of your target website.
However, if you need to preserve article IDs, you can choose one of our Support Service Packages.
No, you cannot. CMS2CMS doesn’t support the migration of flash sites. To get more information on the migration possibilities, visit Supported CMS and Forum page.
You can calculate the number of pages on your site in different ways according to the type of the CMS you are using:
For API CMSs:
1. Specify your site address.
2. Enter login and password of your site.
1. Specify your site address.
2. Grant CMS2CMS access to your site.
1. Specify your site address.
2. Verify connection.
If you want to migrate from HTML or WIX site to your own Target site, you need to provide all the necessary information and install Bridge file to your Target site. If you use CMS2CMS test site for migration, than you don’t have to install Connection Bridge to it.
Before the start of your migration, you will see the number of pages on your HTML site and the price of the data transfer.
In other cases to see the quantity of pages on the site your need to follow Migration Wizard and set up Connection Bridge.
If you have any difficulties feel free to contact our Support Team.
Currently, this option is not available. But, CMS2CMS Team is approaching to this destination and very soon the website owners will be able to give a try to automated multisite and multilanguage migration.
Quick Wizard allows you to get the picture on how your website will look like on the new CMS. The major benefit of this migration option is a minute procedure – the website conversion will take approximately 5 minutes.
- You have to provide your current website URL
- Choose your desired CMS. Currently the Quick Wizard works with WordPress, Drupal, TYPO3, and Joomla.
- In the split moments you’ll be able to check the preview of your future site.
Bonus: When you choose WordPress as a target CMS, there is an option to select one of 6 premium WP themes that goes absolutely for free.
In order to move all your website content, you are welcome to proceed with the full migration.
All you need to perform your data import is:
- Install your Target CMS.
- Make sure Source and Target websites are available online.
- FTP access to your Source website (your current site you want to migrate from).
- FTP access to your Target website (new one you are migrating to).
How many entities (i.e. categories, posts, users etc.) can I migrate for free using CMS2CMS service?
You can migrate up to 10 content pages (with all related entities) for free using Demo Migration.
It is impossible to conduct migrations locally as CMS2CMS is a web-based tool and can get access to your website data only via Internet connection.
To perform your migration, it is absolutely necessary that your Source and Target websites are available online.
No, template, styles, themes or other design elements aren’t migrated. CMS2CMS supports migration of the following entities:
- textual content (posts/pages)
- internal links
- attachments etc
Check your specific CMS page for the exact list of entities available for migration. It can differ from the default one due to the peculiarities of a certain content management system. The list of entities is different for forum platforms as well.
Note. We provide free theme suggestion from one of theme providers based on your current website colour scheme. To see your suggestions. tick the corresponding option in the Migration Wizard during your migration setup.
Not necessarily, you can try Demo migration with CMS2CMS even if your Target CMS (the one you’d like to move to) isn’t yet installed. In this case a limited amount of your website data will be migrated to one of our test sites, and you’ll get admin access details to view the results on both front- and backend.
However, in order to complete your Full migration, you are going to need the Target CMS installed.
Yes, our technical engineers can handle the Migration for you and make the necessary customizations (it comes for the extra fee). You only have to purchase a suitable Support Service Package.
- It’s the easiest way to import data to your new CMS: no software installation, no expensive extensions, no coding!
- You save your time and efforts as the migrations are performed very quickly and the procedure is really simple.
- You receive best quality support. CMS2CMS support managers and tech engineers will make sure your data moving works out fine and will be there for you to attend to any issues.
Migration process won’t affect your source CMS website in any way. It will be up during and after the migration process.
User details can be migrated from source CMS to target CMS. However, CMS2CMS doesn’t migrate the passwords, because they are encrypted specifically.
Your users can use Password Recovery tool on your Target website to access their accounts. Take into account that the service preserves the existing user roles.
Yes, images are migrated along with the textual content.
NOTE. Make sure the permission values of 777 or 755 (depending on your server configuration) are set for default image folders on your target website.
By default, they are as follows: for Joomla -
/images/ for WordPress -
The URL structure will change, because each CMS uses its own way to build URLs for pages .
You can use 301 permanent redirects to avoid 404 errors on your original URLs. CMS2CMS can handle this job for you by setting the 301 redirects automatedly. Learn more here.
Internal links are those connecting two elements inside your site (for example two articles/posts). This kind of links will be live after migration, which means all the connections within the website structure will be kept.
Your site URLs will change, but if your Target site supports SEO URLs, all of your internal links can be built in accordance to the new URL-rewrite rules and be made SEO friendly. You have to check the appropriate option in the Migration Wizard.
Connection bridge file is a special gateway used to gain access to the data from your Source and Target websites and allow data interaction between them.
To install the connection bridge, initiate your Migration setup. After you have specified your Source and Target websites, you’ll be asked to download and install Connection Bridge.
Follow these steps or watch the video tutorial with instructions on how to install connection bridge on your websites.
- The first step is to click “Download Bridge” button and save the file to your local computer. It will be saved as zip file containing
- Extract the
cms2cmsfolder from the zip file.
- Now, connect to your Source and Target Websites via FTP with the help of any type of FTP client software, e.g. WinSCP, FileFTP, FileZilla, CuteFTP, etc.
- Within the FTP client, copy the
cms2cmsfolder extracted from the Connection Bridge zip file and insert it into the root folder (top folder with the index.php file) of both your Source and Target CMS websites.
- Check whether the Connection Bridge file has been installed correctly. Simply enter
http://[your site URL]/cms2cms/bridge.phpwithin your browser address line. If you see ‘
Bridge successfully installed'message – it means your bridge is working correctly.
- Now you can go back to your Migration Wizard and press ‘Verify Connection to your Sites” button.
The root folder is where your website primary index.php file is located. It is also called the top folder.
The connection bridge is used only to retrieve the information from your website.
It can not and in no way will bring in any alterations to your website configuration or data. We guarantee that this method of obtaining information is absolutely secure for your website.
Yes, you can close your browser window any time after CMS migration has started. When you login to CMS2CMS again, you’ll be redirected to the information page on the migration status if it’s still in progress.
When migration is complete, you’ll be notified via email.
Currently, you can run only 1 migration at a time.
We strongly recommend to try the Demo Migration before making any payments. You will be able to check the migration performance for the limited number of items.
If the Migration does not work for you, please contact our Support Team. Our technical engineers will investigate the issue and provide you with relevant solutions.
The main reasons of migration interruption can be the following:
- the connection to your website is interrupted or not available;
- the issue occurred with your Source/Target Database;
- you were trying to proceed with two or more migrations at the same time for the same websites;
- Bridge.php file was deleted during the migration process.
Why the number of pages migrated is much smaller than the number of pages Google Webmaster Tools indicates for my website?
CMS2CMS counts only existing unique content pages of your website. Google Webmaster Tools shows the number of all indexed pages, which iclude pagination, login/sign up pages, 404 pages etc. Moreover, the same page with and without www. in the domain address is considered to be two different pages by GWT. This is the reason why the quantity of migrated pages and existing ones according to GWT is different.
You don’t need to worry as all of the content from your previous website has been migrated to the new one.