Generally, switching across an older and newer versions of software is called “upgrading” and it is a rather simple process. However, Joomla CMS has so severe distinctions between its versions, that there’s no mechanism available to upgrade between the major versions (1.5 to 2.5 or 1.5 to 3.0).
This is why upgrading your Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5 is actually the migration, because it involves moving files, plugins, templates, etc. to the new website.
There are three basic ways of migration between major Joomla versions:
- start from scratch – it means, you have to set up Joomla 2.5 website and manually move all the content from the old 1.5 site to new 2.5.
- convert website using third party extension – it shortens and simplifies the process of migration.
- migrate using an automated online service – which means no plugin installations, no manual data transfer. The process is very simple and speedy.
Joomla Upgrade 1.5 to 2.5 Automatedly. All-the-Way Tutorial
In this post you can find a detailed instruction on Joomla 2.5 automated upgrade. Before getting started, you need to prepare for the migration.
What you Need to Upgrade Joomla 1.5 to 2.5?
- Joomla 1.5. and 2.5 installed and accessible online
- FTP (or hosting control panel) credentials for both websites (host, username and password)
Video Guide Upgrading Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5 Automatedly
5-Step Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5 Migration Scenario
When you’ve finished all the preparations, take your time to proceed with the following steps.
1. Register your account at CMS2CMS website. Alternatively, you can sign up using your existing Facebook or Google+ account.
2. Type in your Joomla 1.5 website URL in the field “Source website”, and your Joomla 2.5 in “Target website”. Besides, don’t forget to specify the CMS types of your websites (Joomla in both cases).
3. Establish connection between your sites in order to provide data exchange between the databases. And this is where your FTP details are requierd.
- Download the Connection bridge file to your computer (by pressing the button with the corresponding name). It is saved as a zip. file.
- Unpack the zip (it contains ‘cms2cms’ folder).
- Insert the extracted ‘cms2cms’ folder to your Joomla 1.5. and 2.5 root folders via FTP.
- Go back to the Migration window and press “Verify Connection” Button.
NOTE. You may watch a video tutorial on How to install connection bridge.
4. Run free Demo Migration (optional) to check out the results of your Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5 upgrade. You can migrate up to 10 pages and entities related to them at no cost using this option.
5. Start your Full Migration.This process takes 15 minutes on average, but if your site is very massive, the time needed for migration may be longer. When migration is done, you can enjoy your new Joomla 2.5 site!
What I Can Migrate?
Latest posts by Dmytro Lazarchuk (see all)
- Top 5 WordPress Things You Might Have Forgotten - December 30, 2014
- Geographic Popularity of CMS - December 29, 2014
- PHP-Fusion vs WordPress: CMS that Meets Your Needs - December 26, 2014